Welcome to Big Cat Rescue
Visit Big Cat Rescue
Reservation & prepayment via Zerve is required for all visits to Big Cat Rescue.
The Most Important Thing YOU Can Do to Save Big Cats
This bill called the Big Cats and Public Safety Protection Act is the most important piece of legislation to ever be introduced to protect lions, tigers and other exotic wild cats from being kept as pets and in miserable roadside zoos. It ended the 113th Congressional session with more than 120 co sponsors. Now we are working to re introduce the bill in early 2015.
Check out the Most Recent Mews-Letter
Get this month’s edition of the AdvoCat, a monthly big cat e-zine.
Get the most recent copy of the Big Cat Times, a quarterly print newsletter.
Big Cat Rescue, one of the world’s largest accredited sanctuaries for exotic cats, is a leading advocate in ending the abuse of captive big cats and saving wild cats from extinction. We are home to about 100 lions, tigers, bobcats, cougars,servals and other species most of whom have been abandoned, abused, orphaned, saved from being turned into fur coats, or retired from performing acts.
- The sanctuary began rescuing exotic cats in Nov. 4, 1992.
- The non profit 501 c 3 sanctuary is home to about 100 exotic big cats
- The cats at Big Cat Rescue are here for a variety of reasons, including:
- Abandoned by owners who wrongly thought they would make good pets
- Abused by owners in order to force them to perform
- Retired from performing acts
- Saved from being slaughtered to make fur coats
- Rescued as babies after hunters killed their mothers. See our Bobcat Rehab and Release work
- Big Cat Rescue has many species of cats, many of whom are threatened, endangered or extinct now in the wild, including:
- Tigers, Lions, Leopards, Cougars, Bobcats, Lynx, Servals, Ocelots, Caracals, Jungle Cats and a Geoffroy Cat
- The non-profit organization is:
- Accredited by the Global Federation of Sanctuaries
- Certified by Independent Charities of America as a “Best in America Charity”
- Member of the World Society for Protection of Animals
- Rated 4 Stars by Charity Navigator (their highest rating) and has one of the highest scores of any animal based charity
- Part of a global coalition including HSUS, IFAW, WWF, GFAS, Born Free and other animal protection groups who are working together to end big cat abuse.
- The sanctuary is situated on 67 acres in the Citrus Park area of north Tampa.
- Lions being hunted in Africa for trophies need your help!
- No Circus at Ohio Schools
- Save Big Cats From Abuse (US ONLY)
- No Bobcat Hunting (IL ONLY)
- Ban Contact w/ Big Cats (OK ONLY)
- Close the Loophole in FL State Ban
- Circus Exemption (MO ONLY)
- Exotic Animals Need Your Help (NC ONLY)
- Cub Exploitation at Colossalcon
- Make the PLEDGE to Never Go to the Circus!