Since he is one of the first black leopards you see at the sanctuary, Jumanji is used to quite a bit of attention. Most days, he can be found in the shadiest part of his cat-a-tat lounging on his fern-covered tree log. It is very easy to see how well black leopards camouflage themselves in the jungle since most people walk right by without noticing him there. People magazine certainly noticed Jumanji though. His photo was featured in an article written about Big Cat Rescue.
Jumanji is also known as quite the superstar achiever in our Operant Conditioning Program. He learns very quickly and always wants to please, especially when treats are involved. If the keeper is not quick enough with the reward, Jumanji will offer other behaviors to see if maybe the keeper wants something else. He makes it easy to capture and reward other behaviors, which he will then subsequently remember. The adage that leopards have the longest memories truly applies to Jumanji.
Jumanji was born here back before we learned that no privately held exotic cats serve any sort of conservation purpose. Back then, in the pre-Internet era of the 90’s, the only people we could turn to for advice were breeders and dealers who lied to us about the necessity of breeding exotic cats to save them. As soon as we learned better we stopped breeding and began campaigning to end the abuse of breeding wild cats for life in cages.
On 2/3/09 Panther International pledged to donate $20,000 to Jumanji’s life time care.
Sponsor Jumanji http://big-cat-rescue.myshopify.com/collections/sponsor-a-cat
Why isn’t this cat called a Black Panther?
Jumanji Gets New Digs
Leopard Island is what we call an area of the sanctuary that is in the middle of four cart paths.
We are moving all of the leopards to Leopard Island so they can access tunnels.
The tunnels connect to lion, tiger and leopard cages so we can easily move cats to and from their vacation site.
The vacation site is 2.5 acres called the Vacation Rotation enclosure.
Each big cat gets a two week vacation in the Vacation Rotation area and then shifts back to their enclosure.
We have gotten pretty good at moving leopards this way, but it will be much easier to just open a gate.
Eventually we hope to connect cougar tunnels as well so they can go on vacation too.
Volunteers added some more dirt / sand to this enclosure yesterday so it looks like a beach, but will be full of grass soon.
Alex Bobcat comes to the front of his cat-a-tat across the cart path to check out the new neighbor.
The Holley’s built a new platform for Jumanji so he could have great views of the lake and paths.
Little Feather Bobcat comes to the front of her cat-a-tat across the cart path to check out the new neighbor.
Jumanji gives his seal of approval on the new digs. Thanks for making it possible to enrich their lives.
You can continue to provide such excellent care by donating here: http://bigcatrescue.org/donate/
More Links About Jumanji
* October 17, 2014 – Lots photos including Jumanji at the vet: http://bigcatrescue.org/now-big-cat-rescue-oct-17-2014/
* October 2014 – Jumanji is in the Advocate Newsletter: http://bigcatrescue.org/advocat-2014-10/
* October 9, 2014 Video, News, & Photos of the various cats including Jumanji getting a new room edition: http://bigcatrescue.org/now-big-cat-rescue-oct-9-2014/
* October 1 – Today at Big Cat Rescue has many photos of the cats and the sanctuary grounds and photos of Jumanji with his pizza box: http://bigcatrescue.org/today-at-big-cat-rescue-oct-1/
* August 21, 2014 – Jumanji Leopard’s Vet Emergency: http://bigcatrescue.org/now-big-cat-rescue-aug-21-2014/
* June 22nd – Lots of photos of the various cats including Jumanji: http://bigcatrescue.org/today-at-big-cat-rescue-june-22/
* May 31st – Today at Big Cat Rescue has updates of various cats including Jumanji: http://bigcatrescue.org/today-at-big-cat-rescue-may-31/
* May 3rd – Wildcat Walkabout Video has footage of several cats including Jumanji: http://bigcatrescue.org/now-big-cat-rescue-may-3-2014/
* March 8th – Lost of news about and photos of various cats including Jumanji doing a tail dance to get attention: http://bigcatrescue.org/today-at-big-cat-rescue-mar-8-name-the-bobcat-kitten/
* January 13 – This page has a bunch of photos of the cats including a photo of Jumanji pouting: http://bigcatrescue.org/today-at-big-cat-rescue-jan-13/
* January 12, 2014 – Video and Photo of Jumanji “Break Dancing”: http://bigcatrescue.org/today-at-big-cat-rescue-jan-12-happy-purrs-day/
* November 29th – This page his packed full of photos, videos, & news. Jumanji the black leopard vys for attention from Reno. He tries playing with toys, break dancing, spinning, leaping …covering his eyes, rolling on the ground, … http://bigcatrescue.org/today-at-big-cat-rescue-nov-29-mewsday-at-big-cat-rescue/
* October 21, 2013 – Walkabout Video has some footage of Jumanji: http://bigcatrescue.org/today-big-cat-rescue-oct-21-2013/
* January 2013 – Jumanji is in the Advocate Newsletter: http://bigcatrescue.org/advocat-2013-01/
* January2009 – Keeper Walkabout has cute footage of Jumanji as well as several other cats: http://bigcatrescue.org/keeper-walkabout-at-big-cat-rescue-jan-2009/