What do YOU want in a volunteer program?
During my presentation at Taking Action for Animals on volunteerism, my co panelist, Hilary Hagar from HSUS asked the audience what their ideal volunteer opportunity would look like. These were some of the answers from the audience
1. Flexible schedules
2. An organized program3. Similar belief system4. Good communication
5. Hands on type work
Then she asked what makes it hard for you to volunteer and got these responses:
1. Lack of centralized information
2. Sad stories about the animals
3. Not being able to save every animal in need
4. Compassion fatigue
6. Life, family, work balance
7. Choosing the right group who are doing the right things the right way
8. Lack of appreciation
9. Lack of funding to do the work needed
These aren’t in order by priority, but were just the order in which people raised their hands and were called on. At the bottom of the page we ask what you think.
Tell us in the comments section below:
1. What do you want in a volunteer program?
2. What makes it hard to volunteer?