August 12 2017
Big Cat Updates
Has everyone heard that Big Cat Rescue now has three new Facebook Show pages and a Facebook Group for everyone who likes our pages? Big Cat Rescue Group link has changed from https://www.facebook.com/groups/bigcatrescuers/ to https://www.facebook.com/groups/BigCatRescue/ (Just take off the the last two letters “rs”)
Hoover was up on his platform yesterday, which is something he does not do much anymore. He also ate good twice yesterday.
Afton’s Coordinator Report for Friday August 11, 2017
Andi Bobcat’s platform section was weed eated today to make it easier for the cleaners to get to her poo.
Project people helped out in the new gift shop today.
The old hospital was cleaned up today.
The large cage on the cleaning slab is clean, but the small one needs to be cleaned. Both cages have the water bowl holders on them. Those should be taken off and put into the recovery hospital.
Projects for the weekend are to go through the sections and pick up all of the sticks and the ones piled outside of the barricades.
Also mowing and weed eating anywhere throughout the sections and sanctuary.
There is a pool outside of Max and Mary Ann’s enclosure and Thurston and Lovey’s that need to be taken to the cleaning slab. The tubes can be thrown out, but scrub the pools and let them dry. They can be put away in the Everything Else trailer with the other two.
Walkabout & Evening Meds with Keeper Lynda & Carole / Cats: Joseph, Hoover, Zeus, Keisha, Andre, Arthur / Subjects: Web cam updates, sicles, Call of the Wild, Artists for CatRescue.biz, etc
Questions & Answers from the video above
Ronne: Get him out of that cage!
- Ronne, we wish they could live wild and free. We believe no wild cat should live in a cage! That is one of the reasons we do not breed here but instead work to get new laws that will make it illegal for people to get big cats as pets and to stop the cub petting and cub photo schemes which are the root cause of so many big cats in cages. Learn about why we cannot just set these cats free now BigCatRescue.org/gofree/
Aurora: Have they gotten any cold refreshments lately? Like the raw meat that was blended and frozen?
- The cats get sicles every day. It gives the cats something to do, helps them feel cooler, and helps the older cats dealing with age related kidney issues stay well hydrated.
Ruby: How do you access the explorer cams? Is there a link?
- Ruby, yes go to BigCatCams.com The first cam links in the list are t=for the awesome Explore.org cams.
Tess: Zeus’ eye?
- Zeus has had eye surgeries trying to help him. He has a little vision out of the eye that looks the worst. Learn more at: http://bigcatrescue.org/zeus-tiger/
Is the Vacation Rotation camera fixed?
- Yes, it is fixed and now also has GREAT night vision. Find the link at http://BigCatCams.com
Lucille: What are the ages of the tigers?
- The cats are all listed at http://BigCatRescue.org/catbio/ and if you click on each cat’s name you will see a page for each cat and the first thing listed in their date of birth and date of rescue.
- Amanda, Andre & Arthur AGE 21 Born 1/1/96 Rescued 9/28/11
- Andy Unknown for sure AGE 13, we were given two dates 6/5/2004 and also 1999 Rescue 11/17/16
- Gabrielle AGE 20 Born 1/1/1997 Rescued 11/17/16
- Hoover AGE 13 DOB 4/23/2004 Rescued 4/23/2016
- Kali AGE 17 Born 2000 Arrived 9/6/2014
- Keisha AGE 17 Born 6/25/2000 Rescued 5/28/2014
- Priya AGE 13 DOB 12/20/03 Rescued on 11/17/16
- Seth AGE 11 DOB 8/1/06 Rescued on 11/17/16
- Zabu AGE 17 DOB 5/15/00 Rescued 5/3/04
- Zeus AGE 21 next month, Born 9/1/96 Arrived 5/28/14
Amarylis: How can you tell them apart?
- This question has prompted me to start making a series of pages on this subject. See the first three lower in this update.
Meet Nikita Lioness, who hates the rain. Watch more at http://explore.org/bigcatrescue
Where’s Waldo? Um, I mean Priya
Can YOU find Priya Tiger?
Photo taken on the http://Explore.org/bigcatrescue web cam by viewer Robin Frye
I found this on Keeper Mark Mira’s page posted for his wife Keeper Brittany Mira:
Happy birthday bee ? from me and SethEEE
Intern Anna Sterlacci: On my last day as an intern at Big Cat Rescue, I had the privilege of feeding my favorite tiger: Gabrielle. She is absolutely majestic, and although we joke that she is a “pocket tiger”, she is massive. It breaks my heart that she has to live in a cage but I know that she is well cared for at BCR. Everybody who works to maintain the sanctuary (mainly volunteers) is passionately devoted to these cats and puts 110% into everything they do. I am going to miss being a part of this beautiful community of animal lovers and will never forget the summer I spent listening to roaring lions. ❤️
Keeper Afton: This is Reise yesterday afternoon gobbling up some lunch.
I also found this note posted on Keeper Lynda’s page. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE our keepers. Their dedication to these cats never ceases to maze me. And ust think, the keepers work for FREE!! (Well, other than the cool snacks and treats you all keep them supplied with. They really appreciate those and Big Cat Rescue cannot express enough appreciation for how wonderful it is to see all of you acknowledging thes great volunteers. Oh, sorry for getting side tracked and mushy. Anyway, here is what I found posted on Keeper Lynda’s page last weekend:
- Up early to do AM meds with the cats. 100% success rate – thank you cats!! 🙂 Then fed some cougars, tigers and our lioness their meals. Then cleaned Outback, had a talk with Joseph lion, and double check my cougar loves. Then some food prep. The heat and the sun really got to me so when I came home, I basically hung out on the couch with Xander (with intermittent walks of course), ate dinner and did one load of laundry. All in all a pretty typical Sunday in the world of a Big Cat Rescuer.
Keeper Lynda’s memory post about Cheetaro: Eternal sunspots to lie in and no more cages. Be at peace most handsome Cheetaro.
Keeper Desmon Fowles: Jade and Armani Looking for someone with treats
Keeper Desmon Fowles: Jade and Armani Looking for someone with treats….. We had better get up and look hungry!!
Heidi & Henrietta have gone back home with Joanne.
Dory, Meeko and Rajah to the Intern house, Sand Cat Castle, tomorrow.
The following kittens have found their furever homes:
Viewer Robin Frye: Here is Nikita Lioness making awesome Stinky Face!
Viewer Shawndi Lynn: Sweet capture of Zeus during Carole’s live shot.
Viewer Eija Lammi: HRL …Nikita Love <3
Viewer Robin got a great snap of Andy on top of his den. I love this!
Viewer Susann Mesna: Handsome Seth amongst the greens
How to Win: Make the Call of the Wild at https://BigCatAct.com Each day that you make the Call of the Wild Carole is notified and at the end of every day, Carole will run a randomizer to pick one winner every day. It is important that when you make the Call of the Wild that you use you accurate address because that is the address that Keeper Lauren Buckingham will then mail a Big Cat Rescue Supporter Wrist Band to the daily winner. LaWanna will post the winner every day on Big Cat Updates. When you see your name on the list below you will know there is a wrist band on it’s way to you.
Note about Security: When you input your name and address at https://BigCatAct.com it is a secure system. The system uses your address to connect you with the lawmaker for your area. We NEVER share your information with any third parties, ever!
- August 10, 2017 Brian G.
- August 11, 2017 Nicole F
- August 12, 2017 Mahaillie G
If you do not know what the Call of the Wild is check out the info at: http://bigcatrescue.org/cta-call-wild/
***NEW*** Can YOU tell Amanda, Andre & Arthur apart?
Check this new page out. There are a TON of photos of the three as well as tips for what to look for to tell them apart. http://bigcatrescue.org/telling-apart-arthur-andre-amanda/
Note to Viewers: We have highlighted these a bit in past Big Cat Updates. How do you feel about having separate pages that will linked from the bio pages of all cats who live together so you can find it easier? Do you think it is something that would be a benefit or a waste of time? Let me know in the comments.
One of Afton’s recent videos, in case you missed them.
Bobcats VS Ball Pits: WARNING!!! CUTENESS OVERLOAD!! Check out a few of our bobcats as they enjoy a bobcat safe ball pit. There may be some catnip involved!
- Telling them apart: Amanda, Andre, & Arthur LOTS of photos!!!
- Telling them Apart: Max & MaryAnn More photos will to be added
- Telling them apart: Ares, Artemis, & Orion More photos will to be added
Donate Unwanted Gift Cards to Save Big Cats!
You probably have a wallet full of gift cards you are never going to use, or finish using. Donate any unwanted gift cards and they will go directly to helping Big Cat Rescue. Your gift card donations are greatly appreciated! Donate them here: Nonprofitgiftcard.com/bcr
Here is a list of YouTube channels that feature videos of the cats here:
- Jamie Veronica: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY6X3rUv8UlIUbrxNeu-Aw
- Susann https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUFOZiTvzKRvj-oVbzdByvg
- Ruxandra https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvCsjKptd1gM9BhfDkGQGNg
- Donna P: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcFbhMc8Sqr-8MreWuYr4Bg
- Shawna https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfl9S-vDPJIgjl8QpM6Aypw
- Cathy S https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6ynHBFLKj0BVnK5jo2gTnw
- Janie M https://www.youtube.com/user/donutgirl100
- Jaime T: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY_oF0NhXc5OS8CcTaUi2A/videos
ONE: Our main page http://facebook.com/bigcatrescue has a new look.
TWO: Big Cat Rescue has three new Facebook Show pages. Carole has been working very hard on getting these ready for launch. You can “Like” / “Join” the Show pages now. On August 28th you will even be able to have Facebook Show icons on your phone. Will YOU help us promote these new Facebook Show pages by sharing them and asking your friends to check them out?
THREE: Big Cat Rescue has also re-opened a closed group to all the people who “Like” our Facebook Show pages. We want this to be the place YOU can post bout and talk about the cats and cat issues. After you “Like” our three new Facebook Show pages above, please pop on over and join our Big Cat Rescue Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/bigcatrescuers/ We look forward to seeing YOU, and your cat posts, there.
Note to Viewers: Carole made a NEW BCR Website page giving more details about this exciting news at: http://bigcatrescue.org/watch-facebook-shows/ Please check it out and leave a note in the comments for Carole.
We are trying to raise awareness on Amazon by creating a store there. Your reviews help us reach more people. These bracelets are an inexpensive way to help and to spark the conversation with other cat lovers:
As per viewer suggestions, Quick Links now has it’s very own page http://bigcatrescue.org/quick-links/
Bookmarking it will help you find things quickly. That will come in handy for:
- Helping us answer questions on social media
- Finding answers to some of Carole’s Facebook Live questions