Big Cat Updates
Dr. Justin came to the sanctuary yesterday to look at the cats and to re-evaluate diets. Example, some of the cats are a bit “fluffy” and needed their diets adjusted. From time to time Dr. Justin and or Dr. Liz come out to evaluate the cats’ weight and determine who needs more or less food. He also looked the cats over nose to tail.
The lump on Zeus’ shoulder has turned out to be nothing to cause concern.
Keeper Lauren’s Coordinator Report doe August 7, 2017
Another Hot Day Today
We weed whacked and mowed along the tour path and inside barricades when we had certified people for the section.
The interns also went through the sanctuary and picked up sticks.
Dr Justin came to look at some of the cats. Ginger and Servie have meds changes, emails were sent to the relevant people
It was a successful Ivermectin day, everyone ate well
Volunteers got some operant and enrichment sign offs. Alayna got her 10 week prize and Aleesa also got hers from level 2.
Carole will be streaming live this evening on The Dodo Impact at 5:3- ET giving Enrichment to Cameron and Zabu
Web Cam News: Andy is locked up because the WebCam people are here to install the infra red lights so people will be able to see him at night. It won’t be tonight though because there’s not an electrician here to actually hook it up today.
Enrichment Fun: WARNING!!! CUTENESS OVERLOAD!! Check out a few of our bobcats as they enjoy a bobcat safe ball pit. There may be some catnip involved! Help support all our cats, from tabbies to tigers today on World Cat Day with the purr-chase of a beautiful bracelet at http://BigCatRescue.org/bracelet
No cats were harmed during the filming of this video, however, toilet paper tubes was pawed, clawed, bitten, smashed and a few were dragged away and peed on.
The toilet paper tubes are painted with children’s non-toxic water-based paint. It is not harmful to the cats.
Evening Walkabout – Hanging out with Sundari Leopard – August 7, 2017
Ronnie asked, “How much do they eat each day?”
- Ronnie we feed out about 500 pounds of meat every day. The amount each cat gets depends on their species, age, activity level, and weight, etc.
Susan asked: “How about a kiddie wading pool for all the hot kitties?”
- We sincerely appreciate the kind thoughtfulness but we do not want more of the little blue plastic kiddie pools. We have four already, and those are not something we want in the enclosures filled up with water and/or rain water. The water grows algae fast, and we do not have the time, or man power, to go into the enclosures everyday to thoroughly clean them. We use them for specific enrichment activities only. Thank you, though!
Pat asked, “Do leopards get Coolaroo beds?”
- The leopards cannot have Coolaroo beds because they would destroy them which would create a danger of them ingesting pieces of them.
Lucretia asked, “How do we schedule a tour?”
- To schedule a tour go to http://bigcatrescue.org/tickets/ you can click on the names of the different kinds of tours to find the one that suits you. You can then use our secure online reservation system to book your tour.
Sherry asked, “Do big cats shed their claws like house cats?”
- Yes!! They sure do!
Penny asked, Do bobcats like water?”
- Bobcats will swim when they need to. They don’t particularly like playing in water as much as tigers do but they don’t hate it like lions do.
Angela asks, “What can I do as a non US citizen?
- Educating everyone you know helps a lot as they in turn will educate others.
- Commenting, liking, and sharing encourages Facebook to show our posts to more people which helps us reach more people.
- Also, Angela, sharing the posts and info with everyone you know in the US or in various groups that might have US members in helps. Ask your friends to do that, too.
Shirley asked, “Did you catch the other baby?”
- No, we made multiple trips out there and have worked with a man to set countless traps, we mailed out flyers to the community looking for sightings of the kitten and still nothing.
Courtney asks, “How old is Sundari?”
- Sundari’s date of birth is 11/15/1996 making her almost 21. Learn more about her at http://bigcatrescue.org/sundari/
Elizabeth asks, “How is Cooper?”
- Cooper is doing great. When he finally tested clear from the hookworms he arrived with he was moved outside. He is sure glad to be outside. You can watch him on the live website cam at https://bigcatcams.com He has discovered the platform and the shelves, too.
P.k. says, “Carole I want to know the rest of your story. Please.”
- P.k., if you go to http://bigcatrescue.org/about/our-staff/ you will find all the staff listed there. Under Carole’s photo click on the icon that looks like a chain link to go to Carole’s bio.
Jacqui asked, “Where are you?”
- Big Cat Rescue is located in Tampa, Florida. Learn more at http://bigcatrescue.org
Viewer Lee Durbin:
Here is a list of YouTube channels that feature videos of the cats here:
- Jamie Veronica: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY6X3rUv8UlIUbrxNeu-Aw
- Susann https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUFOZiTvzKRvj-oVbzdByvg
- Ruxandra https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvCsjKptd1gM9BhfDkGQGNg
- Donna P: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcFbhMc8Sqr-8MreWuYr4Bg
- Shawna https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfl9S-vDPJIgjl8QpM6Aypw
- Cathy S https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6ynHBFLKj0BVnK5jo2gTnw
- Jaime T: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY_oF0NhXc5OS8CcTaUi2A/videos
As per viewer suggestions, Quick Links now has it’s very own page http://bigcatrescue.org/quick-links/
Bookmarking it will help you find things quickly. That will come in handy for:
- Helping us answer questions on social media
- Finding answers to some of Carole’s Facebook Live questions
WANTED – Graphic Artists
Carole is looking for a graphic artist who really gets what we are all about and would would like to help us with some graphics for shirts. If that is you or if you know someone like that, please have them email Carole at email@example.com