U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service,
Division of Management Authority,
4401 North Fairfax Drive, Room 212,
Arlington, Virginia 22203; fax 703/358-2281
Attention: Lisa J. Lierheimer
Senior Permit Biologist, Branch of Permits, Division of Management
Dear Ms. Lierheimer
I am the CEO of Big Cat Rescue which represents more than 70,000 supporters and we oppose the issuance of the Permits re:
Applicant: Hollywood Animals, Inc., Los Angeles, CA, PRT-060474, PRT-207080 PRT-064209, PRT-107740, PRT-107741 and PRT-107742
The applicant requests re-issuance of permits to re-export and re-import two leopards, one male and three female captive-born tigers (Panthera tigris) to worldwide locations for the purpose of enhancement of the species through conservation education. The permit numbers and animals are:
PRT-064209, Katrina/Katie; PRT-107740, Kipling; PRT-107741, Kismet; and
PRT-107742, Shickha. This notification covers activities to be
conducted by the applicant over a three-year period and the import of
any potential progeny born while overseas.
FR Doc. E9-17904 Filed 7-27-09; 8:45 am BILLING CODE 4310-55-S
For the following reasons:
- A circus act does not enhance conservation, nor does it enhance the survival of the species.
- This is a well known and often used ploy of back yard breeders and dealers to export sick or non productive animals and replace them with breeding stock taken from the wild. To issue a permit for cats unborn just further encourages that abuse to include bringing more animals from their homeland into the U.S. for captivity.
- There is a growing trend in the U.S. that opposes using exotic animals for circus side shows, even under the guise of education, and many of these people are now taking their trade to countries that are not as progressive. The U.S.F.W.S. should not be a party to the continuance of an industry that is found by more than 85% of the public polled to be offensive, cruel and unjustifiable.
- Hollywood Animals has recently been performing and we were contacted by people who were appalled at the way the tigers were housed, they way they were treated and the lack of supervision over them when they were left alone in their hot, metal trailers.
- China uses the US as their excuse for tiger farming because the US allows such unrestricted breeding, transport and use of tigers. 1-800-STEAKS.com has advertised lion meat openly and tiger meat, which would easily be passed off as lion meat. They claim that their meat is ranched in the US. Tiger tamer wannabees, such as the Hollywood Animals, can exploit the US’ lack of regulation and even worse lack of enforcement to move tigers around the globe. It is time the USFWS put an end to this kind of abuse. To not issue a permit to Hollywood Animals would be a good place to start.
- More about Hollywood Animals: http://bit.ly/HmgeH
For the cats,
Carole Baskin cell: 813.493.4564 MakeADifference@BigCatRescue.org
Hollywood Animals Trainer Illustrates the Abusive Way Circus Cats are Treated
For the cats,
Carole Baskin, CEO of Big Cat Rescue
an Educational Sanctuary home
to more than 100 big cats
12802 Easy Street Tampa, FL 33625
813.493.4564 fax 885.4457
Free ways to join us and help the big cats:
Twitter: Follow Me and be invited to enter our Animal Lover's Dream Vacation Giveaway! http://twitter.com/BigCatRescue
Show Comments (0)