India: Captured leopard succumbs to shock
Captured leopard succumbs to shock
Shimla: The leopard that was caught by the wildlife department from heart of the capital town on Thursday died here this evening, veterinary official told HimVani.State wildlife veterinary surgeon Sandeep Rattan said the female leopard that was spotted strolling in areas adjoining the Mall, went into a coma due to traumatic stress and grievous injuries. It was kept at the National Wildlife Rehabilitation and Rescue Centre at Tutikandi on the outskirts of the city.
He said it died in the evening as it had developed septicemia due to injuries on one of its front limbs. During the health checkup its left paw was also found missing. Blood was also seen coming out of the its nostrils that showed that it was suffering from some internal injuries.
The leopard had also developed capture myopathy, a disease that leads to build up of lactic acid in the bloodstream that drops the pH in the body, affecting heart output and other organs.
According to veterinarians, there are several situations that can cause capture myopathy. These include trapping, capture, transport and even simple restraint.
The exact cause of her death would be known only after the post-mortem examination that would be conducted tomorrow , he added.
Learn more about big cats and Big Cat Rescue at http://bigcatrescue.org