India: Leopard dies of negligence

Avatar BCR | November 12, 2009 1 View 0 Likes 0 Ratings

1 View 0 Ratings Rate it

TNN 11 November 2009, 06:48am IST

NIZAMABAD: In a case of gross negligence on the part of a veterinary doctor and his team, a leopard died after it was injected with a heavy dose of anaesthesia at Jaheerabad village in Kammarpalli mandal of Nizamabad district on Tuesday morning.

Sources said a compounder administered a dart with a heavy dose of anaesthesia to the wild cat after it got entangled in a mesh, which was set up to trap wild boars and protect standing crops in the agricultural field. The compounder reportedly administered three injections, which resulted in the death of the animal around 9.30 am after it struggled for three and a half hours.

Sources said the wild cat entered the village from the nearby forests to quench its thirst and was trapped. When the forest officials did not turn up in time, the police who tried to rescue the wild animal sought the services of the local veterinary doctor. “Had the forest officials responded immediately, the big cat could have survived. The local doctor and his compounder did not have the expertise to handle this case,” a police official said.

It was a spectacle for hundreds of villagers as they gathered around the leopard even as it tried to wriggle out of the mesh. Later, the carcass of the animal was shifted for an autopsy.

It may be recalled a leopard was killed in mob fury at Sangam village in Nizamabad district.


Learn more about big cats and Big Cat Rescue at

Leave a Reply


This post currently has no responses.

Leave a Reply

  • Copyright 2020 Big Cat Rescue