Big Cat Updates
Ares and Orion went home from Vacation Rotation and Gabrielle is on vacation now. Vacation Rotation Cam is down. Randall and the amazing Explore.org team are working on the issue. In the meantime the cam is running highlights. Find links to rest of the cams at BigCatCams.com
Coordinator Report for 7/19/17, Wednesday
- Seth’s cage mowed and weeded,big section and roof section.
- FunCation was mowed and weeded inside and out.
- Jade and Armani were moved to Funcation
- We weeded around Jinx, Cheetaro and Reise.
- The cubs’ cage was cleaned up and the new den sanded. The boys were moved home.
- A lot of Letters were done!
- Operant Sign offs and enrichment sign offs
Long hot day, but a lot of good stuff!
That is it for me
Nova is being set free, today. Info and photos to come soon. We set up several cams and used the drone so Afton will make a polished video as soon as she has time. In the meantime here is the live coverage of Nova’s release this moaning.
Read Nova’s story: http://BigCatRescue.org/nova/
Learn about our wild bobcat rehab and release program: http://BigCatRescue.org/bobcat-release/
Help support our Bobcat Rehabilitation Program with this paw-some tee. TANK – Bobcat Rehab Program Logo – Missy Fit
Graphic features the bobcats that have benefited from the program and the text; Florida Bobcat Rehabilitation Program on the top and Giving Hope to Those That Deserve a Second Chance on the bottom. Silhouettes created using actual photos of bobcats being released and paw print embellishments made from an impression of one of the rehab bobcats’ paws. Tee features the names of 34 bobcats including; Ace, Alachua, Anasazie, Bailey, Bellona, Captiva, Chance, Chief, Copter, Cypress, Dancer, Dante, Faith, Flash, Gator, Hope, Ivan, Journey, Kennedy, Khaleesi, Midnight, Mr. Claws, Mrs. Claws, Nova, Phoenix, Poseidon, Rain, Skip, Spirit Feather, Storm, Tommie, Thor, Will, and Wyeth.
This roadside zoo is owned and operated by the Stearns family, primarily by mother and son, Kathy and Randy. Visitors to DCWT can pay for hands-on “encounters” with animals, including primates and tiger cubs. For $200, a visitor can “swim with a tiger”—DCWT’s signature encounter—during which a tiger cub is forced to swim with groups of people in a chlorinated pool up to three times a day. The eyewitness saw one cub forced to swim with 17 people in a single day. A tiger cub named Ariel, who suffered from an apparent spinal deformity or neurological disease and could not hold her head straight, was repeatedly made to swim, including once for more than a 10-minute stretch, during which she panicked and was unable to keep her head above water.
More videos of this: https://campaigns.peta2.com/screaming-tiger-cubs-dragged-hit/
Does this Make YOU Sad or Angry?
Well, does it?
If it does, then DO SOMETHING, TAKE ACTION to help stop it.
Don’t just sit back and type on social media how awful it is, your lawmakers are NOT seeing that!!
Use your voice where it can really make a difference! Please, go to BigCatAct.com It is so easy to take action, it’s quick, and it’s free.
If this issue touches your heart then TALK TO YOUR Friends and Family! Make them aware and ASK THEM to make the Call of the Wild at BigCatAct.com
Morning Walkabouts – See Gabrielle on vacation, hear Carole talk about: Ares & Orion, Tony, the truck stop tiger, BigCatAct.com, projects, vacation rotation cam down, Getting Nova ready to go free today, the news article about the people who recently moved 22 tigers cross country in a cattle trailer without a/c or water and cubs were born and died on the way and either 1 or 3 adults re missing, Artemis getting a new den, plumber arrives, etc.
In May, Feld Entertainment, the owner of Ringling circus petitioned the US Fish and Wildlife Service to allow 8 of their circus tigers to be exported to Germany where they would perform in another circus! BCR immediately posted an action alert asking supporters to submit comments in opposition to FWS granting this export permit.
ADVOCATS ROCK! Thanks impart to your efforts, FWS received 14,822 comments with an overwhelming majority being in opposition to granting this export permit!
There was so much public feedback that FWS temporarily re-opened the comment period this month (with the last day to comment being today). If you haven’t already commented, please follow the steps in this action alert from our friends ADI to comment today. http://www.ad-international.org/animals_in_entertainment/go.php?id=4382&ssi=10
In related news, it has been confirmed that in February Ringling retired another group of their tigers to a sanctuary in Tennessee. Read more in this Washington Post article.
Director of Outreach
Published on Aug 2, 2010: Do Tigers Like Catnip?
Ever wondered if big cats like TIGERS, LIONS & LEOPARDS like catnip? We always get this question from tour guests, so we thought we’d find out!
Big Cat Rescue’s website has well over 10,000 pages. From time to time pages get updated and new pages are always being added.
- Big Cat Rescue’s International Tiger Day 2017 Project – Please join us in saving wild tigers from drowning in open wells!Big Cat Rescue will match the profit from your purchases of our International Tiger Day merchandise – and any donations you make on that merchandise page – dollar for dollar up to $5000 and donate it to the Corbett Foundation’s Insitu work to protect wild tigers, leopards and other animals in India from falling into open farm wells. The funds will be used to construct fences around the wells, keeping the big cats from falling into these very deep wells and drowning. SEE This Page for more info and photos!
Big Cat Model Barb Colvin: Love my shirt.
REMINDER to Everyone that has purr-chased International Tiger Day Gear: Be sure to have a photo of you with your mugs, shirts, bags, beach blanket, etc to post on http://facebook.com/bigcatrescue on July 29th, International Tiger Day, to be entered in a drawing where the prize will be a paw painting. You are invited to post your photo now so you are acquainted with where to post it and also to encourage others to do the same. however, to be entered int he drawing you will need to report it on July 29th.
Submitted by Rick Keli Worthington: A viewer created a collage of some of the selfies.
- Find all the ITD (INternational Tiger Day) Gear at http://Tigers911.com
- What Big Cat Rescue is doing to support ITD: http://bigcatrescue.org/international-tiger-day/
- Do wild tigers and leopards REALLY fall in wells? YES – see for yourself at http://bigcatrescue.org/july-12-2017/
PROJECT: Tiger Surfing – Bio Updating
- Pick a tiger
- Use our on-site search to find all the pages on our site about that tiger
- Open each page and if it is something that should be added to that tiger’s bio. add the link and a description of to a list
- Email the list to LaWanna
- This project is two-fold. Our website is over 10,000 pages so this will help us get the tigers’ bio pages completely updated and we will then feature a different tiger each to promote the International Tiger Day project.
- Simply surfing our website, copying links to a list, and emailing the list, that’s about it.
Volunteers so far:
- Hoover – Kristine Metzner
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org choosing a tiger from the list above, and I’ll send you more detailed instructions.
Here is a list of YouTube channels that feature videos of the cats here:
- Jamie Veronica: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY6X3rUv8UlIUbrxNeu-Aw
- Susann https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUFOZiTvzKRvj-oVbzdByvg
- Ruxandra https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvCsjKptd1gM9BhfDkGQGNg
- Donna P: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcFbhMc8Sqr-8MreWuYr4Bg
- Shawna https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfl9S-vDPJIgjl8QpM6Aypw
- Cathy S https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6ynHBFLKj0BVnK5jo2gTnw
- Janie M https://www.youtube.com/user/donutgirl100
- Jaime T: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY_oF0NhXc5OS8CcTaUi2A/videos
As per viewer suggestions, Quick Links now has it’s very own page https://bigcatrescue.org/quick-links/
Bookmarking it will help you find things quickly. That will come in handy for:
- Helping us answer questions on social media
- Finding answers to some of Carole’s Facebook Live questions
WANTED – Graphic Artists
Carole is looking for a graphic artist who really gets what we are all about and would would like to help us with some graphics for shirts. If that is you or if you know someone like that, please have them email Carole at email@example.com
Show Comments (0)