Big Cat Updates
Angie's Coordinator Report for July 22, 2017
Big cats on the move!
Hoover, Jasmine and Sapphire were shifted closer to the serval section.
The last 3 enclosures closest to Kali are empty.
Texas Tigers have the first 4 enclosures closest to Cam and Zabu. The next 3 enclosures are empty.
Joseph is in the enclosure next to the barn and Zeus is in the enclosure next to Joseph.
Pryia is the enclosure closest to the staff offices and she has access to the bubble behind the leopard lounge.
Quick video by Keeper Afton: I got a request for Hoover! You ask, and I share! Enjoy!
Keeper Sue: Little Dove loves her Coolaroo! Fantastic to see her out. The sweet old girl spends a lot of time hiding in her den or in the thick foliage areas. So seeing her out in the open lounging on her new bed is exciting for us.
Keeper Matt R: Mac is the best animal friend I have ever had at Big Cat Rescue (and there have been some great ones). He is a 20 year old cougar who is very arthritic and has been wetting the den box. He gets urine in his fur and there has been no way to safely clean him... until now. I have worked with Mac for 18 years but, even though he has grown to trust me, I have never attempted to use the hose on him as most cats hate water. However, a couple of weeks ago I gave it a shot. Seeing him holding his leg up so I can spray his belly lets me know he is enjoying it. He seems to actually enjoy getting a bath. Mac's fur gets matted with urine and I need to try and both break up the mats and clean the urine out of them. The only time he is annoyed in the video is when he accidentally gets some spray in his face. It must feel good on a hot Florida summer day. Love this old guy...
Mac is a VERY OPINIONATED cougar so if he did not enjoy this he would have moved away, or in some way let Matt know he didn't like it. However, he contentedly keeps grooming and moves his leg to allow more access to the area. Mac is very old and his fur gets matted and urine stays in the fur so turning the hose up a bit more breaks up the mats and cleans the urine out of them which will make Mac much more comfortable.
Jamie Veronica, from late last night: Another search effort unsuccessful. We spent a couple hours spot lighting and using night vision. Unfortunately no sign of the baby bobcat. There are now more than a dozen humane live traps deployed. Praying the kitten will seek out the food in one of the traps. Read the full story, and see photos in yesterday's update at: http://BigCatRescue.org/july-22-2017/
A MUST READ Article about Chris, our former Media Producer. You may know his more as Cole & Marmalade's human.
Tomorrow the following mom & kittens will be returning to the Humane Society to find their furever families:
We have received word from the Humane Society that the following have found their furever families:
Viewer Patrice: Had to share... Andy is quite the love muffin when he sleeps.
Big Cat Model Joann Dolce: I love Hoover so much!
Find Hoobver's Tote Bag at https://big-cat-rescue.myshopify.com/products/bag-hoover-tiger-rescue-tote
Big Cat Rescue’s website has well over 10,000 pages. From time to time pages get updated and new pages are always being added.
- The Big Cat Times - The PDF, online, version of the Spring ^ Summer issues of The Big Cat Times has been posted for you to download.
Pages to Check Out:
- Big Cat Rescue's International Tiger Day 2017 Project – Please join us in saving wild tigers from drowning in open wells!Big Cat Rescue will match the profit from your purchases of our International Tiger Day merchandise – and any donations you make on that merchandise page – dollar for dollar up to $5000 and donate it to the Corbett Foundation’s Insitu work to protect wild tigers, leopards and other animals in India from falling into open farm wells. The funds will be used to construct fences around the wells, keeping the big cats from falling into these very deep wells and drowning. SEE This Page for more info and photos!
Here is a list of YouTube channels that feature videos of the cats here:
- Jamie Veronica: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY6X3rUv8UlIUbrxNeu-Aw
- Susann https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUFOZiTvzKRvj-oVbzdByvg
- Ruxandra https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvCsjKptd1gM9BhfDkGQGNg
- Donna P: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcFbhMc8Sqr-8MreWuYr4Bg
- Shawna https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfl9S-vDPJIgjl8QpM6Aypw
- Cathy S https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6ynHBFLKj0BVnK5jo2gTnw
- Jaime T: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY_oF0NhXc5OS8CcTaUi2A/videos
As per viewer suggestions, Quick Links now has it’s very own page http://bigcatrescue.org/quick-links/
Bookmarking it will help you find things quickly. That will come in handy for:
- Helping us answer questions on social media
- Finding answers to some of Carole’s Facebook Live questions
WANTED – Graphic Artists
Carole is looking for a graphic artist who really gets what we are all about and would would like to help us with some graphics for shirts. If that is you or if you know someone like that, please have them email Carole at firstname.lastname@example.org