Big Cat Updates
Jennifer Ruszczyk’s Coordinator Report for July 23, 2017
Rainy day today. We had a lot of lightning.
Things we got done:
- Put away donationed items (THANK YOU EVERYONE!!)
- Honey has weed eater parts for Gayle
- Organized some of the donated enrichment
- Addressed 100 letters
- Picked up fallen branches
- Alyssa started her assigned projects from Gayle
- Intern sign offs for enrichment and feeding
- Keeper sign offs for cleaning
- Moved around tours to accommodate guests due to lightning. Edith/Honey and the gift shop team did a great job managing guests with the in-climate weather.
Nikita Lioness Update
She seems to be improving so Dr Justin wants to give the meds some more time before putting her through sedation.
Photo by Viewer Donna Morefield
Wild Bobcat Kitten Update
So far the traps we have set for this poor little orphan has caught:
- 3 opossum
- 1 rat
- 1 water moccasin snake
We have searched and searched, Carole put fliers and did a neighborhood mailing for the gated community we couldn’t put out flyers in looking for leads on the whereabouts of this orphaned bobcat kitten.
If you have not heard about this kitten yet, here is the link to learn more: http://bigcatrescue.org/bobcat-kitten-rescue-attempt/
Carole’s Evening Walkabout 7/23/2017: Jade and Armani on FunCation, What’s going on with catching the orphaned baby bobcat, Evening meds with Momma Becky,
Monday Vet Visits
(Camera resets and starts a new video every 15 minutes. They are posted in order.)
Will the 10 yr old neurologic bobcat has been chewing weird, is a little off his feed, and has seizures from time to time. Today he’s had Xrays, dental Xrays, a full blood workup and now is having a sonogram. So far there is nothing abnormal in the tests to help us know how to help him.
People Often Ask us about white tigers.
Are you interested in garnering a passion in your students for wildlife and the natural world?
Big Cat Rescue’s white tiger lesson plan, designed for elementary school students grades K-5, explores the surprising truth behind the “beautiful” white tiger as well as the adaptations of tigers as they were meant to look in their natural habitat.
Each lesson includes a reading assignment, quiz, math worksheet, geography worksheet, coloring sheet, vocabulary activity, poster, and
outline of learning objectives. Visit http://bigcatrescue.org/white-tiger-lesson-plan/ to get started.
True Facts About White Tigers
Many people love the beautiful white tiger, but believe it or not, this is an inbred animal and not subspecies of tiger at all. We expose the truth…
Only 7 days left!
We are doing TWO things to support International Tiger Day, July 29th. One is a fundraiser to build fences around wells to prevent wild tiger and leopard deaths. The second is an awareness project. Everyone who purr-chases TJ’s International Tiger Day Gear and posts a photo of them showing off their merchandise will be entered in a drawing for a chance to win a paw painting.
Project One, the fundraiser to save wild tigers:
Great News! With about 5 days left until INTERNATIONAL TIGER DAY JULY 29TH, we are really close to meeting our goal of donating $10,000 to the Corbett Foundation’s important work protecting wild tigers, leopards and lions in India from falling into open farm wells!! If you’d like to honor our beloved TJ tiger while helping to save wild tigers, please consider making an International Tiger Day purchase at Tigers911.com
Big Cat Rescue will donate the profit from all purchases of our International Tiger Day merchandise and any donations made on the ITD merchandise page — plus we will MATCH THE PROFIT DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR up to $5000. The money will be used to construct chain-link fences around the wells (cost is about $100 per well) to keep big cats from falling into these very deep wells and drowning. About 2500 of these open farm wells exist, many in the core zone of the Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve.
Project Two, raising awareness:
You’ll have a chance to win an original paw print painting when you post a photo of yourself on July 29th on our Facebook page with your TJ tiger International Tiger Day merchandise!
THANK YOU to everyone who has already purchased our ITD merchandise and made donations! YOUR efforts matter!!
- About our International Tiger Day projects: http://bigcatrescue.org/international-tiger-day/
- About and see photos of big cats being rescued from these wells: http://bigcatrescue.org/july-12-2017/
- Get you own International Tiger Day merchandise: http://Tigers911.com
Two new feral kittens who need a lot of TLC arrived yesterday. Watch more at http://explore.org/bigcatrescue
Keeper Susan Reed: Cheetaro! Bath Time!
Keeper Susan Reed: Orion, always on the alert!
Big Cat Rescue’s website has well over 10,000 pages. From time to time pages get updated and new pages are always being added.
Pages to Check Out:
- Big Cat Rescue’s International Tiger Day 2017 Project – Please join us in saving wild tigers from drowning in open wells!Big Cat Rescue will match the profit from your purchases of our International Tiger Day merchandise – and any donations you make on that merchandise page – dollar for dollar up to $5000 and donate it to the Corbett Foundation’s Insitu work to protect wild tigers, leopards and other animals in India from falling into open farm wells. The funds will be used to construct fences around the wells, keeping the big cats from falling into these very deep wells and drowning. SEE This Page for more info and photos!
When you purr-ticipate in Carole’s Facebook Live contest you need to put your answers in the special form at BigCatRescue.org/win
Question: How much does Will weigh?
Answer: Will weighs 16.8 pounds.
Winner: Grace Davenport was the closet, she said 17.5 pounds.
Notes to Past Winners:
- If you have gotten an email letting you know you won, PLEASE, choose your prize asap!
- If your item has arrived, PLEASE, email email@example.com to say it has arrived.
Here is a list of YouTube channels that feature videos of the cats here:
- Jamie Veronica: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY6X3rUv8UlIUbrxNeu-Aw
- Susann https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUFOZiTvzKRvj-oVbzdByvg
- Ruxandra https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvCsjKptd1gM9BhfDkGQGNg
- Donna P: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcFbhMc8Sqr-8MreWuYr4Bg
- Shawna https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfl9S-vDPJIgjl8QpM6Aypw
- Cathy S https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6ynHBFLKj0BVnK5jo2gTnw
- Jaime T: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY_oF0NhXc5OS8CcTaUi2A/videos
Visitor Jennifer Parker: Had a fantastic time on the keeper tour today, and this picture is by far my favorite!!! I had to share, thank you so much for all you do, and helping me make one of my daughter’s dreams come true!!!! ?
Visitor Cheryl Frost’s Collage: Thank you for all you do at Big Cat Rescue. We had an amazing, and extremely educational, visit last week. My 10 year old daughter is very inspired to help the cats!
Viewer (CamOpp) Kristine Metzner: During my shift today, I caught Seth and Andy being SO adorable! <3
Visitor Terri Nagle: Came across this photo I took from a visit in 2006. Wow they were tiny!
Background on this photo: Ares, Orion, and Artemis came here as orphaned cubs. We could not legally rehab and release them so they grew up here. The have several cages and a big long tunnel that they share. Even though they are now all grown up the nickname, “the Cubs” stuck.
Click on a modeling photo to see that item in the cats’ giftshops.
Big Cat Model Paula: I just love this shirt with Cam and Zabu on it. And I just love this style of shirt. I wear them all the time. I gave it a glowing review on your website.
I LOVE Paula’s modeling pix!!!!!!!!
Big Cat Model Lori Duska: This is the front of the Secretary to the Cats car now.
As per viewer suggestions, Quick Links now has it’s very own page http://bigcatrescue.org/quick-links/
Bookmarking it will help you find things quickly. That will come in handy for:
- Helping us answer questions on social media
- Finding answers to some of Carole’s Facebook Live questions
WANTED – Graphic Artists
Carole is looking for a graphic artist who really gets what we are all about and would would like to help us with some graphics for shirts. If that is you or if you know someone like that, please have them email Carole at firstname.lastname@example.org