Big Cat Updates
Vacation Rotation Cam: Lightning has taken out the new amazing Vacation Rotation camera, so we are waiting on explore to find out what they want to do about it.
Will: Dr. Justin did not find anything wrong w/ Will to indicate why he’s off his food, chewing weird or having occasional seizures. Bloodwork has been sent to an outside lab. Dr. Justin says everything they have seen so far is perfectly normal, so we don’t know why he’s doing poorly. That’s sort of been the history of Will’s whole life. We thought he was blind when he arrived because he runs into things and can’t find his food sometimes, but the eye expert says his eyes are normal.
Nikita: A bunch of viewers have been reporting Nikita’s coughing to us 24/7 and it seems to be improving w/ the meds. She coughs a lot at night, but very little during the day now. She’s back to eating fine and acting normal, so Dr. Justin wants to give her a little more time on the meds before the risk of sedating her.
Questions & Answers from Yesterday’s Live Videos:
What is the different between an x-ray and an ultrasound? Ultrasounds can give us a better look at the organs. Xrays are great for seeing the bones and hard things, but the ultrasound can give vets a better idea of how the organs look.
Why did you shave his tummy? They shaved to do the ultrasound
Why did you put gel on his tummy? They need to use gel on the abdomen in order to help the sound waves go through correctly. Fur would hinder that.
Why do we say our Ultra sound machine is pretty cool? The cool thing about our ultrasound machine is that it has a camera on it and is hooked to the Internet so we can get a second opinion by a board certified ultrasound expert in real time if needed.
What are the pings we hear during the x-ray and ultrsound? Those pings you hear are them capturing a photo from the screen for further research by the experts.
Why is the minimum sedation 45 mins please? The drugs that are used for sedating a cat can’t be safely reversed for 45 min., so even if we only needed him to sleep for 5 min., we would have to wait 45 before we could reverse the drugs.
Why did you put paint on his paw? http://BigCatRescue.org/paw/
What was the thing you put up by his face? That is an Xray for teeth. The thing they put in his mouth is a device that captures the image.
Why does he have a tube in his throat? He has a tube into his throat so he can breathe while they do that.
Is it new for cats to have seizures? Is it just your cats having seizures? It isn’t like it is new for cats to have seizures. What is new is that we are online, all the time, telling you about it, which didn’t used to be the case before Facebook LIVE. Also, at many places cats are not watched with cams, or have intensive observation training as we give our keepers here. There are a lot of eyes here at the sanctuary trained to notice even the smallest details of the cats, and we intern log and post pretty much everything. Most places do not put every health detail about their cats out there on the internet like we do.
Some of you asked about the shirt Jamie Veronica was wearing during Will’s procedure. It is one she bought at Tigers911.com to help our support International Tiger Day project. You can get that shirt Jamie Veronica is wearing and protect tigers in the wild w/ your purr-chase https://big-cat-rescue.myshopify.com/collections/international-tiger-day
Tidbits of info from Will’s vet visit yesterday
When bobcats and lynx are killed for their fur, it is only that little patch of belly fur that is used.
Dr Justin Boorstein cut his hair for his trip to Brazil but it got canceled. Couldn’t get the hair back.
All of the cats spots and stripes are on their skin.
Will: Approx. Date of Birth: 7/15/2007 Arrived at Big Cat Rescue: 8/13/2007 Will is normally a very good eater. He is a very tiny bobcat in general. He lives with Anasazi who is little, and he is smaller than her. Will weighed in at 16.8 pounds.
I think 25 of our 77 cats are over the age of 20, which is almost twice as long as they were designed to live.
Here is a list of YouTube channels that feature videos of the cats here:
- Jamie Veronica: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY6X3rUv8UlIUbrxNeu-Aw
- Susann https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUFOZiTvzKRvj-oVbzdByvg
- Ruxandra https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvCsjKptd1gM9BhfDkGQGNg
- Donna P: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcFbhMc8Sqr-8MreWuYr4Bg
- Shawna https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfl9S-vDPJIgjl8QpM6Aypw
- Cathy S https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6ynHBFLKj0BVnK5jo2gTnw
- Jaime T: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY_oF0NhXc5OS8CcTaUi2A/videos
As per viewer suggestions, Quick Links now has it’s very own page https://bigcatrescue.org/quick-links/
Bookmarking it will help you find things quickly. That will come in handy for:
- Helping us answer questions on social media
- Finding answers to some of Carole’s Facebook Live questions
WANTED – Graphic Artists
Carole is looking for a graphic artist who really gets what we are all about and would would like to help us with some graphics for shirts. If that is you or if you know someone like that, please have them email Carole at firstname.lastname@example.org
Big Cat Rescue’s website has well over 10,000 pages. From time to time pages get updated and new pages are always being added.
Pages to Check Out:
- Big Cat Rescue’s International Tiger Day 2017 Project – Please join us in saving wild tigers from drowning in open wells!Big Cat Rescue will match the profit from your purchases of our International Tiger Day merchandise – and any donations you make on that merchandise page – dollar for dollar up to $5000 and donate it to the Corbett Foundation’s Insitu work to protect wild tigers, leopards and other animals in India from falling into open farm wells. The funds will be used to construct fences around the wells, keeping the big cats from falling into these very deep wells and drowning. SEE This Page for more info and photos!
PROJECT: Tiger Surfing – Bio Updating
- Pick a tiger
- Use our on-site search to find all the pages on our site about that tiger
- Open each page and if it is something that should be added to that tiger’s bio. add the link and a description of to a list
- Email the list to LaWanna
- This project is two-fold. Our website is over 10,000 pages so this will help us get the tigers’ bio pages completely updated and we will then feature a different tiger each to promote the International Tiger Day project.
- Simply surfing our website, copying links to a list, and emailing the list, that’s about it.
Volunteers so far:
- Amanda – Matthew B
- Andy – Daisy
- Arthur – Ann Arthur
- Hoover – Kristine Metzner
Send an email to email@example.com choosing a tiger from the list above, and I’ll send you more detailed instructions.
Show Comments (0)