Big Cat Updates
Coordinator Lauren’s Report
Divinity is back outside in her enclosure. She and Apache have been put back together.
Babycakes is back outside in his enclosure.
Sassy Cougar is in the recovery hospital. 18 year old Sassy Cougar had started limping on a forepaw, so she’s got a complete workup by the vet. She had several bad teeth removed. See the videos and more info below for more details.
Spirit Feather update and photos below.
Nova photo and update below as well.
TJ Will see the vet next Monday at 9:30 AM.
Cyrus, Chaos, & Zucari: Meet our newest rescues of a serval named Zucari and 2 caracals named Cyrus and Chaos. Check out their story as we welcome them to Big Cat Rescue!! BigCatTV.com
Some of you asked about the shirt Jamie was wearing during Sassy Cougar’s vet visit. Here it is with a closeup of the graphic, too. If you get it, PLEASE model it for us and send the photos to firstname.lastname@example.org We really enjoy seeing them the photos plus the photo help others see how the shirt look on real people. It is hard to see how long or short they are by just seeing a photo of the shirt without it being on a Big Cat Model.
18 year old Sassy Cougar has started limping on a forepaw, so she’s getting a complete workup by the vet. She had several bad teeth removed. More about Sassy at https://bigcatrescue.org/Sassy-Cougar/ Sadly, in addition to being very old, she lived her whole life in SD so food was often frozen solid when offered. Same goes for the water, so lots of these cats arrived w/ horrible teeth and kidney issues.
THANK YOU for caring about Sassy. With 27 cats here at Big Cat Rescue being 20 yrs old or older having this onsite hospital is truly a blessing. THANK YOU to everyone who donates to keep the hospital stocked, equipped, and running.
Note To Viewers: Gonna try something new today, and of course, want/need YOUR feedback. Some questions were asked during the live video feed so thought maybe sharing some of the answers here would be helpful. Since questions and comments roll by too fast for us to read I got to thinking, maybe our replies roll by before you all get to see them. Let me know IF YOU WANT us to try to include a few questions and answers here below the live videos. Time won’t allow for us to always do this but is this something YOU WANT?
1) Q: Why aren’t you wearing gloves?
- A: We do when a sterile field is needed. See a more detailed explanation at: BigCatRescue.org/gloves/
2) Q: How do you all know the correct medical stats for big cats?
- A: We subscribe to Species 360 for thousands of dollars each year to have access to zoo medical records for comparison. We have been caring for big cats for 25 years in Nov. and have supplied much of that data to the community.
3) Q: Is this a routine check-up? Or is something up?
- A: We don’t knock cats out for routine care. We do routine care via Operant Conditioning. We only sedate if there is a problem because it is so dangerous for the cat
4) Q: Why do you put paint on their paws? Q: Is it dangerous? Q: Can I buy one?
- A: We only use non toxic children’s finger paints and we wash it off before the cat wakes up. The paw is painted and then touched to a canvas, to capture the imprint. Those paintings are then given to the volunteers who have named that cat as their favorite cat and who helped with the procedure. A more detailed answer can be found at: https://bigcatrescue.org/paw/ Historically, I don’t think we have offered the originals for sale but we do create tees, mugs, jewelry, bags and other items from an image of the prints. Those can be found for sale at BigCatRescue.biz and CatRescue.biz Just search the words: paw print
5) Q: How does someone donate supplies for the hospital?
- A: You can donate securely through our website as bigcatrescue.org/donate or contact the office directly at email@example.com if you have specific supplies in mind. We cannot use opened supplies.
6) Q: How can someone volunteer?
- A: There are many ways to volunteer and get involved, even if you live far away. Find various ways at BigCatRescue.org/get-involved/
7) Q: How long to cougars live?
- A: In the wild they live 10 to 13 years and about the same in many other facilities.
8) Q: Does Dr. Justin work at the Humane Society where the domestic foster kittens come from?
- A: Dr. Justin works at the hospital associated with the Humane Society of Tampa Bay, but the actual intake clinic is for animals is the next street over.
10) Q: How much does Sassy Cougar weigh?
- A: 114 pounds
11) Q: What did they decide was wrong with her paw?
- A: She has bad arthritis and will start ongoing medication for it.
12) Q: How many teeth did Dr. Justin remove from Sassy Cougar?
- A: 10 in total. That was 6 lower incisors, 1 upper canine, and 3 molars on same side
13) Q: Will she have to have another dental visit?
- A: Yes, 6 upper incisors need to be extracted and one canine needs a root canal.
14) Q: Does she have a lump on her back?
- A: It is a pocket of fat. She is overweight and will be going on a diet.
15) Q: Does she have a microchip?
- A: Yes, she already had a microchip.
Cat Fact: Cougars use that muscled tail as a counter weight. They can swing it around in mid air to change direction when pursuing prey
To help protect cats like Sassy Cougar, Carole made some specialty Big Cat Rescue Gear at: https://catrescue.myshopify.com/search?type=product&q=fearless Here are a few samples.
REMINDER: When you purr-chase these items to help save cats like Sassy Cougar, PLEASE, model them, take photos and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is a closeup of the graphic used on the above Big Cat Rescue Gear.
Did you read the text Carole posted with this graphic on yesterday’s Big Cat Updates?
Evening Walkabout June 11, 2017
Dr. Justin’s Vet Presentation for the Interns & Keepers. These presentations keep all the keepers and interns up to date on the cats.
Big Cat Model Caryn Nash: Here I am wearing one of my many BCR shirts. I always wear the bracelets also so that people ask! Then I go into my speech about cub petting etc. love you guys! I’ll send pics of my other shirts and towels etc!
Big Cat Model Dawn Russell’s Mango: Ok, it’s not a person, but I ordered the snow leopard plushie and one of my cats, Mango, had to check her out!
Get your own Snow Leopard Plushie just like Mango’s for only $5.00
HEADS UP!! You do NOT want to miss tomorrow’s Keeper Corner. It features Mac and Matt!!
Keeper Candy: We have Interns, Volunteers, and AdvoCats greeting people as they come into the gift shop for the start of tours. Here’s the “greeting group” this morning. From left to right it’s Rosel, Barbara, Melissa, Taylor, Jason, and Daniel. What a great way to start a tour! This group gets everyone signed in and answers questions guest might have.
Keeper MaryLou Geis: Nabisco, “The Biscuit”
Jamie Veronica: 5 years ago I went on a “bobcat” call and came home with Teegray. She is the most fun cat I have ever had.
Carole: She is a one cat circus, for sure. This was me catching her after one of her many escapes. I’m in a car, because I’m afraid she will squirm away, so I’m waiting for Jamie Veronica to arrive and take her.
Jamie Veronica: A rare glimpse of Will Bobcat.
Live Cam viewers have nicknamed a wild bird that hangs out here at the sanctuary. Keepers have nicknamed him as well. His list of names are Ernie, Bill, Frank, and I think some others too. Keeper Afton was heading out on the evening meds route and “Bill” was following her every step of the way.
Afton has put together a new video introducing the newest foster kittens one by one. Learn their names, see some close-ups, and watch them play. (4 minutes)
Spirit Feather Update: Two photos taken 4 weeks and 10 days after her release. We take a LOT of photos and paw imprints of cats before they leave us, so we can match them up on trail cams later.
Note to Newcomers: Spirit Feather is now living wild and free. She came to Big Cat Rescue on July 20, 2016. When this little bobcat was separated from her mom, and found in the middle of the road, good Samaritans turned her in at a clinic in the middle of the state. Who are you going to call at 10:30 pm when you have a bobcat in a box taped shut? Big Cat Rescue, of course. She was raised in our wild Bobcat Rehab program and released back into the wild on January 8, 2017.
Nova Update: Nova is a fierce little one. She was refusing to shift for enclosure cleaning by standing her ground on her favorite platform.
Jamie Veronica: My other office…resetting camera traps deployed to monitor our released bobcats.
Gear packed and ready for a long hike.
Hiking out to Spirit Feather’s camera.
People Often Ask: “What does Big Cat Rescue think about Kevin Richardson, the guy who calls himself the “Lion Whisperer?”
Answer: To answer this I am going to copy /paste a page from 911AnimalAbuse.com here for you. If you ever need to find this again to answer someone’s question you can go to 911AnimalAbuse.com and look for his name in the alphabetical list on the home page.
Kevin Richardson says he loves his cats however, we feel that what he does is not only dangerous but is incredibly irresponsible and selfish. What he does sets a horrible example.
With his WORDS he says big cats are not pets but with his ACTIONS he makes people want to touch and play with big cats, and their babies. People pay more attention to actions than they do words.
When people see facilities or exhibits that pimp cubs out for petting and photo schemes they will pay to participate in those because people like Kevin Richardson make it look like so much fun. They want people to think they are a “Lion Whisperer” too.
Facilities in Africa that pimp cubs for petting and photos like that sell them to canned hunts when they are too big to be used that way. That means many of those cubs end up suffering the same fate that Cecil Lion did.
In America, and other countries, the bad guys breed a steady stream of big cat cubs to be pimped out for the public to pay to play with. When those cubs get too big to be used like that their futures are pretty bleak.
The cub pay to play and photo schemes are at the very root of so many big cats suffering. Learn more at CubTruth.com
Another point to consider is petting big cats and their babies can result in the cat’s death. A tragic story unfolded that is the perfect example of that:
In Springfield, Missouri a three week old bobcat kitten was found. She was taken to a rehabber there. The man who brought her to the rehabber ignorantly stuck his hand in her crate. The terrified little bobcat kitten bit him. Six days later, the Missouri’s Springfield Greene County Health Dept. stepped in, took the kitten, killed her, cut off her head, and sent her brain out to be rabies tested. The kitten did not have rabies. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/06/01/bobcat-kitten-killed/361947001/
Big Cat Rescue did everything they could to prevent it and many of their fans spoke out in an effort to save the healthy bobcat kitten. BCR offered to pay for the thousands of dollars in rabies shots, if the man would take them instead of having the kitten killed. Sadly in the end, the precious little kitten lost her life because a human just had to stick his hand in with her. The law stated that ANY time an exotic animal was involved in a bite, they must be killed and tested for rabies. There is no quarantine time, like in dogs and cats, because no one has ever studied the incubation time of rabies in exotics.
Big Cat Rescue will not risk the lives of the cats there for a selfish desire to touch them. They are also are committed to ending the suffering of big cats and their babies and believe firmly that setting an example by actions, not just by words is important to achieve that goal.
By comparison, Kevin Richardson has failed to speak out in favor of the Big Cat Public Safety Act.
Nova resting under the platform and on the shelf. 06.12.2017
Here is a list of YouTube channels that feature videos of the cats here:
- Jamie Veronica: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY6X3rUv8UlIUbrxNeu-Aw
- Susann https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUFOZiTvzKRvj-oVbzdByvg
- Ruxandra https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvCsjKptd1gM9BhfDkGQGNg
- Donna P: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcFbhMc8Sqr-8MreWuYr4Bg
- Shawna https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfl9S-vDPJIgjl8QpM6Aypw
- Cathy S https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6ynHBFLKj0BVnK5jo2gTnw
- Janie M https://www.youtube.com/user/donutgirl100
Carole is looking for a graphic artist who really gets what we are all about and would would like to help us with some graphics for shirts. If that is you or if you know someone like that, please have them email Carole at email@example.com
As per viewer suggestions, Quick Links now has it’s very own page https://bigcatrescue.org/quick-links/
Bookmarking it will help you find things quickly. That will come in handy for:
- Helping us answer questions on social media
- Finding answers to some of Carole’s Facebook Live questions
Show Comments (0)