Lioness dead, leopard, jackal electrocuted in India

Express News Service
Saturday , September 02, 2006

Junagadh, Gir, September 1: All’s not very well on the wildlife front in this part of the State. While a lioness died on Thursday evening at Sakkarbagh Zoo Hospital in Junagadh after prolonged illness, a leopard and jackal died of electrocution in the area bordering Gir forests last week.

The lioness was brought very ill to the hospital on August 14 from Sasan (Gir) forest headquarters and was under medical observation for 17 days. Sakkarbagh Zoo Superintendent R D Katara said the lioness was suffering from an infection due to repeated rectum prolapse.

Prolonged illness and weakness are stated to be the reasons for its death. Katara added that the lioness was about 11 years old.

Meanwhile, last Friday, a live electric wire was grounded at Amrutvel village located on Gir forest border.

A jackal reportedly came in contact with it and died while a four-year-old leopard too was electrocuted when it tried to eat the dead jackal.

PGVCL has been asked to replace the old electric supply lines passing near the forest, forest sources said.

How much did you like this?

Tags:

  • Show Comments (0)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comment *

  • name *

  • email *

  • website *

You May Also Like

Celebrities add glitz to tiger conservation

Celebrities add glitz to tiger conservation Published on Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 14:39Updated ...

Centre accepts Sahyadri Tiger Project proposal in principle

Centre accepts Sahyadri Tiger Project proposal in principle Kolhapur, Oct 2 (PTI) The Central ...

Tests will give more info about cougar killed in Ga.

Tests will determine more about panther By Rob Pavey – Outdoors EditorSunday, November 30, ...