March 28 2017
Big Cat Updates
Coordinator Lauren 3/27/2017
Lakota was neutered today but is back outside in his enclosure.
Sioux was spayed and will spend a few nights in the recovery hospital.
A few volunteers commented to me that Aspen looked bloated, Gale was notified.
We need to collect a poop sample for Smalls, per Jamie’s request. We did not find poop for her today.
Saber was gagging and drooling today during the morning tour but he did not throw up his breakfast. He was laying in the sun and looked content later on in the day.
Zabu carried her red meat out of lockout this morning but did not eat it. It has been noted she has done that on a few other days, so I suggested to Gale, and also mentioned to the interns, we may want to start cutting up her red meat. She did eat the smaller red pieces she was given, at the same time as the large red meat, for breakfast.
Keisha did not want to eat at breakfast but she did eat when we took her food later in the morning.
Gabby left a large portion of her diet in lockout, I tried sitting with her to encourage her to come back and finish but she refused. I collected the rest of her food and offered one last time from a stick and she ate all of the remaining food.
Cameron did really well! He ate around 9 lbs. at breakfast in his lockout.
Hoover bit into one of his pills at breakfast so wouldn’t eat until we took him more food later in the day.
Zeus would not come out of his den for eye drops in the morning. He eventually ate when we took him lunch at NOON.
Joseph was offered a snack in the AM but only ate a small amount. He was taken his meal with PM Meds.
TJ took his meds but didn’t eat until midday.
Thats it from me! ~Keeper Lauren B
Recap of Sioux & Lakota’s Rescue
Carole’s Late Afternoon Walkabout Part 2
Carole’s Late Afternoon Walkabout Part 1
On a recent ‘Daily Big Cat Updates’ page I mentioned that when you share our YouTube videos you are actually helping raise funds for the cats. Well, what I should have said is that YOU are really doing more than that.
When you share our videos you are:
1) Introducing more people to Big Cat Rescue, the cats, and our mission through your own posts.
2) Encouraging social sites to share our postings to more people. Example, when a video on Facebook receives a lot of attention Facebook will then put it in more people’s feeds which further increases exposure for the video. On YouTube when a video gets a lot of attention YouTube will sometimes even add that video to the suggested videos on the side of the page which also increases viewership.
3) The Google ads that display on the YouTube videos are actually raising a little bit of money for the cats, so every time you share one of our videos and your friends and family watch the video YOU are helping raise funds for the cats.
4) Sometimes, when people watch a “Just For Fun” video that YOU have shared they will go to our channel and watch additional videos. Again, this helps the cats and our mission.
5) When you share our educational videos and others watch it YOU are helping spread the word and helping teach others about important cat issues.
How To Share a YouTube Video
1) Sign into your social media account like Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Tumblr, G+, etc.
2) Go to one of our YouTube accounts 1) BigCatTV.com or 2) YouTube.com/DailyBigCat to find a video you want to share.
3) Look below the video and below the title to find a text “Share” link and click it.
4) That opens a little menu of icons. You will see an icon for several of the more popular social media sites like Facebook, G+ Pinterest, Tumblr, etc.
5) If you have already signed into your social media accounts then when you click on one of those icons it will open a little window to post the video to that social media account. All you need to do then is type some text for your post then click the blue button that says “Post To Facebook” and viola you have shared that video on your own Facebook page. The other icons, like G+, Twitter, etc will do the same thing if you have already signed into those accounts.
How to Share a YouTube Video onto a Webpage or Blog
Do steps 1 through 3 above. But instead of clicking on an icon click on the link “Embed” and instead of seeing the row of icons you will see a space with a string of code. Highlight and copy that code. Then go to your blog or website and go to the HTML view and paste the code where you want the video to show up on your webpage or blog.
Go to one of our YouTube channels, find a video you like, and share that video to your social media page such as Facebook, G+, Tumblr, Pinterest, LinkedIn, or Twitter.
If you’d like us to go to your post, like it, and comment on it, either tag us or message us, or email email@example.com with the link to your post and we would be HAPPY to go interact on your post.
I am a veterinarian technician (cvt). I am 32 years old, and I work at Midway Animal Hospital working with dogs and cats, as well as work on a mobile vaccine clinic doing prevention in dogs and cats. I started working with animals in 2004.
I always dreamed that one day I could work with exotic animals, and at the time I began I wanted it to be a zoo. I didn’t know then much about sanctuaries or the goal of zoos. Heck, I thought white tigers were their own species!!! I got my license as a vet tech in 2009 in Ohio, and moved to Florida in 2010. I started looking around at different exotic animal facilities that I could maybe work at or volunteer with to get experience. I found Clearwater Marine Aquarium, and volunteered there for 2 years, before finding Big Cat Rescue.
I went on a tour with my mother in April of 2012, and my life has never been the same. I quickly started volunteering in June of 2012, and have climbed my way up to Senior Keeper, taking care of the animals and enclosures on the sanctuary. I especially love enrichment, and I attend regular enrichment evenings where we get to make all kinds of fun projects for the cats to play with, that you may see in many YouTube videos
I have since learned the goal of BCR and zoos are quite different, and have decided to stay where I am working with small animals, as well as volunteer with Big Cat to help end the plight and suffering of exotic cats around the country.
I also volunteer with Animal Warriors, a group that volunteers at rescues and sanctuaries around the state of Florida such as Jungle Friends and Center for Great Apes. From May to October I help Sea Turtle Trackers with the search for sea turtle nests, as well as education, beach clean ups and nest sitting.
When it is not animals animals animals, I enjoy traveling, aerial yoga, biking, beach volleyball, reading and spending time with family and friends especially outdoors in the beautiful Florida sun.
I have 3 cats, Izzybella, Sophie and Layla. I have one dog, Jo, and 3 tanks of fish. I also help take care of the family farm with 15 cows.
For the cats!
Senior Keeper at Big Cat Rescue
Photos about Keeper Bonnie F
Bonnie helps with Big Cat Rescue’s Bobcat Rehab & Release Program.
Bonnie helps with tabling & outreach events.
Bonnie is often part of our medical care support team.
Bonnie is fun to work with, she has a great sense of humor, and her dedication to the care of the cats here is deep.
To those of you who have sent in coffee, tea, and snacks to the Keeper Cafe, Bonnie is one of the keepers who has been enjoying those kind gifts. The keepers have really been enjoying your gifts when they come in for a break!!
Viewer Kathleen Lamb: Thinking of little Nirvana today. I miss her a lot.
We miss this girl so very much. It it really touching to see so many of you loved this sweet girl, too. She will never be forgotten.
There are some GREAT videos recorded by viewers at explore.org/bigcatrescue that you will really enjoy watching.
Here is a list of YouTube channels that feature videos of the cats here:
- Susann https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUFOZiTvzKRvj-oVbzdByvg
- Ruxandra https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvCsjKptd1gM9BhfDkGQGNg
- Donna P: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcFbhMc8Sqr-8MreWuYr4Bg
- Shawna https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfl9S-vDPJIgjl8QpM6Aypw
- Cathy S https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6ynHBFLKj0BVnK5jo2gTnw
- A Heart For Nikita https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSxAXUTh29XWQw35acpU1Ag
Carole is looking for a graphic artist who really gets what we are all about and would would like to help us with some graphics for shirts. If that is you or if you know someone like that, please have them email Carole at firstname.lastname@example.org
As per viewer suggestions, Quick Links now has it’s very own page http://bigcatrescue.org/quick-links/
Bookmarking it will help you find things quickly. That will come in handy for:
- Helping us answer questions on social media
- Finding answers to some of Carole’s Facebook Live questions