Big Cat Updates
Coordinator Report 5/23/2017
Sheenas cage was completely cleaned.
Lil Dove and Banshee tour path sides were cleaned.
Andy Tiger old cage was cleaned but not seeded as we need to paint the cage.
Picky cats did ok today.
Notes to Viewers:
- Encloses are cleaned EVERY DAY, however, as needed cats are closed out of a section so the team can go in and do a deep cleaning, raking, new den bedding, etc. The cats have plenty trees to climb and plenty of shade from the many many trees but that also means there are always lots and LOTS of leaves and sticks to pick up to keep the grounds clean. If leaves are not kept raked it could create breeding grounds for fleas etc. So we take doing the deep cleanings pretty seriously. This is actually a project that is ongoing. As soon as we make it through all the enclosures it is time to start over again at the beginning. LOL, it is one of those never ending tasks.
- The older enclosures are a made of different kind of wire than the newer enclosures and those older one need to be painted with Rustoleum to prevent them from rusting. the team is very diligent out that. The newer enclosures do not have to be painted with Rustoleum like the older ones do. Painting enclosures is another of those never ending tasks; someone is always painting an enclosure.
- Cats enjoy nice grass. From time to time we need to bring in topsoil and reseed to reseed to refresh their grassy hiding and favorite catnapping spots.
Come along with Afton and Carole to hand out the evening meals and meds to Tigers (Seth, Hoover, TJ, Zeus) Lions (Joseph, Cameron) Bobcats (Apache) Servals (Ginger) Hybrids (JoJo, Diablo) Leopards (Sabre, Armani, Jade) Cougars (Aspen Echo, Max, Reise) and see a few others, like Gilligan the Lynx along the way.
Have you heard of The Secret? This episode has Carole talking about a very unexpected “gift” of over $10,000
Big Cat Rescue staff members talk about why tiger farming is so bad. Go to Tigers911.com to help support tigers.
Karma is taking the kittens to be fixed and adopted. Watch more at http://explore.org/bigcatrescue
Going back to the Humane Society today to get fixed and adopted: Momma Fifi, Patsy, Paulie, Penny, Perry, Peter, and Preston. Watch them until they leave at http://explore.org/live-cams/player/big-cat-rescue-kitten-cabana
The following will be returning to the Humane Society this afternoon:
- Momma Fifi
I will pick them up from the Cabana, and mom from the Sand Cat. Please have a crate by Fifi’s cage, and indicate which crate goes with the P kittens. Please do not put nice towels/blankets in the crates. We won’t get them back.
Modglin House, please ID Paulie and Peter so I know for sure which one is which (nail polish works well).
You can now take TJ tiger with you to the beach!
We have designed a unique line of merchandise, including this TJ tiger beach towel, for International Tiger Day — July 29th! Learn more and check it all out here: Tigers911.com
Big Cat Rescue will donate the profit from all purchases of our International Tiger Day merchandise — and any donations you make on the ITD merchandise page — plus we will MATCH THE PROFIT DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR up to $5000. The funds will be donated to the Corbett Foundation’s work to protect wild tigers, leopards and other animals in India from falling into open farm wells. The money will be used to construct chain-link fences around the wells, keeping the big cats from falling into these very deep wells and drowning.
Currently about 2500 of these open farm wells exist, many in the core zone of the Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve. It costs approximately $100 to fence one well. We hope to send the Corbett Foundation a check for $10,000, which will fence 100 wells! Endangered wild tigers and leopards in India already face enormous challenges to their survival…please help us fence in wells while you enjoy your TJ tiger items!
ONE: VR: Get an incredible look inside a tiger’s mouth
300 lb. Priya the tiger was rescued from a roadside zoo. Tragically, her giant canines were infected: this big cat needs immediate care. Join the team performing emergency surgery to return this spectacular creature to health. From the USA TODAY NETWORK and YouTube, it’s VRtually There, bringing you cool VR experiences each week. Take a breath. Take it in. And don’t forget to look around! Read the entire USA Today article at https://www.usatoday.com/story/virtual-reality/vrtually-there/2017/05/23/help-tiger-toothache/101977096/
The ground she is napping on is cool and wet from the sprayer and so is Gabrielle. ~Keeper Desmond Fowles
On hot Florida afternoons a good shower from the hose is just the ticket to a great relaxing afternoon catnap.
Viewer Lori D(Sec to the Cats): They’re Back!!!
(Look close, what do you see that Andy is not seeing?)
NOTE to Viewers: To get the joke that goes with the above photo you need some background info. Andy saw the vets Monday and had an eye exam, some teeth pulled, got X-rays and a microchip and was neutered. (See Monday’s Big Cat Update). He then wrote a Letter To Management complaining about the whole ordeal. (See Tuesday’s Big Cat Update)
Viewer Robin: A Relaxed Nikita
Viewer JamieT: Funny comic with Amanda and Arthur
Viewer Robin: Amanda After Breakfast
When you purr-ticipate in Carole’s Facebook Live contest you need to put your answers in the special form at BigCatRescue.org/win
Question: What is the reflective membrane of a cat’s eyes called?
Answer: tapetum lucidum
Winner: Kori Orozco
Info: Many nocturnal creatures appear to have glowing eyes because the back of their eyeballs include a special reflective layer called the tapetum lucidum. This helps animals (cats in this case) see better in low light by working like a mirror on the retina to reflect the light back through the eyes, giving them a second chance to absorb the light. The colors seem more visible at night because the pupils are dilated wider than during the day, allowing more of the tapetum lucidum to be visible.
Prize chosen by winner:
Amanda and Arthur Play Time – 5.23.2017
Vacation Rotation – Andre and the Mooing Cow or Tiger? 5-16-2017 ~7:30pm
Morning Andre and Arthur! VR May 24
Seth stinky face
They love to swim in the morning, two of the Texans in VR May 21
Chelsea visiting the kittens
Seth in the lake, TL May 21
The last morning in the Kitten Cabana for these kittens before going to the Humane Society
Frankie meets the P kittens 52117
Morning Seth 52117
Here is a list of YouTube channels that feature videos of the cats here:
- Jamie Veronica: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY6X3rUv8UlIUbrxNeu-Aw
- Susann https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUFOZiTvzKRvj-oVbzdByvg
- Ruxandra https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvCsjKptd1gM9BhfDkGQGNg
- Donna P: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcFbhMc8Sqr-8MreWuYr4Bg
- Shawna https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfl9S-vDPJIgjl8QpM6Aypw
- Cathy S https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6ynHBFLKj0BVnK5jo2gTnw
- Janie M https://www.youtube.com/user/donutgirl100
- Jaime T: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY_oF0NhXc5OS8CcTaUi2A/videos
Carole is looking for a graphic artist who really gets what we are all about and would would like to help us with some graphics for shirts. If that is you or if you know someone like that, please have them email Carole at email@example.com
As per viewer suggestions, Quick Links now has it’s very own page http://bigcatrescue.org/quick-links/
Bookmarking it will help you find things quickly. That will come in handy for:
- Helping us answer questions on social media
- Finding answers to some of Carole’s Facebook Live questions
Show Comments (0)