Big Cat Updates
Coordinator Lynda’s Report for Sunday 5/28/17
Good and busy day with lots of volunteers coming out for last weekend of the month.
Green shirts MC, Devin and Rebecca raked Tiger Island making good progress around TJ and Gabby.
Interns & red shirts completed Little White Dove and Running Bear’s enclosure – both sides, so they have full access.
Sharon raked out Babycakes’ enclosure and will be back tomorrow to do roof and rake around the outside.
Tiger Lily was closed into her lockout side. The door wouldn’t shut all the way so be sure to look at it while we go in there and do maintenance while she’s in for her exam. No meals were made for her nor Mac for tomorrow as they are to both have vet visits.
Picky cats did well today – everyone ate and were receptive to most of what we offered. Cam really just wanted bone-in chicken – drums and the thighs Momma Becky brought.
Keeper Candy: Cleaning Gilligan’s enclosure was one of the projects completed last week. As part of the project, someone had to crawl into Gilligan’s air conditioned wall den and clean out that area. Doesn’t sound too appealing, does it?
Melissa Evens was the intern who graciously accomplished this task, however, she came out a changed woman. With a mischievous grin and some high pitched squeals like those that Gilligan makes, she emerged from the wall. Of course, intern Aleesa Salcido responded to the call in kind.
Gilligan’s life is now back to normal, but we’ll be closely monitoring Melissa and Aleesa.
Deb asked if she could cut up a glove for me to use to minimize the wind. The video I sent her was pretty funny and gives you and idea of the problem I’m trying to solve.
Happy Memorial Day weekend from Big Cat Rescue!!
Mac the Cougar gets examined by the vet. Mac will be 21 this summer. http://bigcatrescue.org/mac/ Watch more at http://explore.org/live-cams/player/big-cat-rescue-windsong-memorial-cat-hospital
Mac the Cougar has been sedated and will now be examined by Dr. Justin Boorstein. Mac was born in 1996 and was rescued in 1998. http://bigcatrescue.org/mac/ Watch more at http://explore.org/live-cams/player/big-cat-rescue-windsong-memorial-cat-hospital
Mac Cougar is done. Tiger Lilly Bobcat is up next. http://explore.org/live-cams/player/big-cat-rescue-windsong-memorial-cat-hospital Mac had to have some rotten teeth removed. He was shaved to help w/ his grooming issues.
Tiger Lilly Bobcat is up next. http://explore.org/live-cams/player/big-cat-rescue-windsong-memorial-cat-hospital She’s 22 years old (132 if she were a person) and can’t groom herself any more. They will shave off the mats and do blood work and other diagnostics. More about her rescue from a fur farm in 1995 here: http://bigcatrescue.org/tiger-lilly/
Here is one of the best paw prints they made and a photo of Mac. Maybe some of our graphic artists out there can make a tee shirt design from it and Mac’s photo. Has to be 300 DPI, .png background, and 3000 px on the shortest side.
Here is what Kathy Williams donated:
Happy Memorial Day from all the big cats and little cats (foster kittens) at Big Cat Rescue. You can watch these precious little ones play all day, LIVE, at http://explore.org/live-cams/player/big-cat-rescue-kitten-cabana I caught a lot of grief from using the word Happy and Memorial Day together but here is my take on it: We should be happy to live in a country where brave men and women loved it enough to keep us free. If I’d given my life, I wouldn’t want people to mourn me, I’d want that gift to be celebrated.
When you purr-ticipate in Carole’s Facebook Live contest you need to put your answers in the special form at BigCatRescue.org/win
Question: Name the two other bobcats who arrived w/ Smalls and Nabisco from SD
Answer: Dryden and Kewlona
Winner: Beth Bush
Prize chosen by winner:
Note To Viewers: On Big Cat Updates May 15, 2017 there was a segment on how to tell Kewlona and Dryden apart.
Mac Cougar is on this beautiful bracelet that is hand made by Jamie. Gun metal charcoal finished bracelet features seven 15mm cougar photos mounted beneath a crystal clear glass dome. Photos include; Mac, Aspen, Reise, Mickey, Orion, Ares, and Artemis. Bracelet is 8.5″ long and has an extra chain at clasp that can extend size 1.5″ more.
Today’s Big Cat Challenge is a project, that when completed, will help future newcomers learn more about the cats here.
- Pick a cat that lives here
- Go to our main website at BigCatRescue.org
- Look below the website header photo and above the website menu to find this icon
- Hover your mouse over the icon to open the on-site search bar (might be different on phone or tablet)
- Use that on-site search bar to find everything you can on our website about the cat you picked.
- Make a list of every link on our website about that cat that YOU THINK should be included on their his/her bio page. (note: please add a description of what is on that page. See the example list below)
- Email your list to email@example.com
Notice there is a description of what is on the page and the page’s link.
More Pages about Tiger Lilly:
- Tiger Lilly’s Bio http://bigcatrescue.org/tiger-lilly/
- Get a beautiful free photo of Tiger Lilly: http://bigcatrescue.org/april-14-2017/
- There is a photo of Tiger Lilly in Keeper Corner: http://bigcatrescue.org/may-18-2017/
More pages about Mac Cougar:
- Mac’s Bio http://bigcatrescue.org/mac/
- Mac was the featured cat on Big Cat Updates March 29, 2017 so there are a lot of photos of him on that page. http://bigcatrescue.org/march-29-2017/
- Mac is on Big Cat Updates Jan 27, 2017 for not going home from FunCation http://bigcatrescue.org/jan-27-2017/
What to look for:
Look for pages with noteworthy things such as videos with decent footage of the cat, photos of that cat, keeper notes about that cat, vet visits, getting enrichment, getting a new den, going on vacation, etc.
Why do this project challenge?
The purpose of this project challenge is to add a new section onto the bottom of each cat’s bio page like, “More About Tiger Lilly.” That way when future newcomers visit our website they will be able to get to know the cats much better. This is a project I have started a couple times in the past but just always ran out of time to complete it. To get an idea of how this will work, go to Cameron Lion’s bio link. A long time ago I started his list but never had time to finish it. http://bigcatrescue.org/cameron-lion/ The partial of list links about Cameron is near the bottom of his bio page.
A local real estate agency is giving back to nonprofits in the Tampa Bay area by donating $1000 to a few worthy charities. Today is the final day of the contest and Big Cat Rescue is currently in first place. You can vote only once per email address. If you haven’t voted yet, please do so today to keep us in first place. http://www.123contactform.com/form-2663998/Myers-Annual-Give-Back-Event-Submission-Form
Thank you for supporting our cats!!
Here is a list of YouTube channels that feature videos of the cats here:
- Jamie Veronica: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY6X3rUv8UlIUbrxNeu-Aw
- Susann https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUFOZiTvzKRvj-oVbzdByvg
- Ruxandra https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvCsjKptd1gM9BhfDkGQGNg
- Donna P: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcFbhMc8Sqr-8MreWuYr4Bg
- Shawna https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfl9S-vDPJIgjl8QpM6Aypw
- Cathy S https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6ynHBFLKj0BVnK5jo2gTnw
- Janie M https://www.youtube.com/user/donutgirl100
- Jaime T: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY_oF0NhXc5OS8CcTaUi2A/videos
Carole is looking for a graphic artist who really gets what we are all about and would would like to help us with some graphics for shirts. If that is you or if you know someone like that, please have them email Carole at firstname.lastname@example.org
As per viewer suggestions, Quick Links now has it’s very own page http://bigcatrescue.org/quick-links/
Bookmarking it will help you find things quickly. That will come in handy for:
- Helping us answer questions on social media
- Finding answers to some of Carole’s Facebook Live questions