The Botetourt County Public Library system is once again hosting a summer reading program at all three library branches. The programs begin this week and are free.
The programs will be presented at the Fincastle Library on Wednesdays, the Blue Ridge Library on Thursdays and the Buchanan Library on Fridays. There will be two programs each day at each library, and children should attend based on the first letter of their last names.
The program that begins at 9:30 a.m. is for children whose last names begin with the letters A-L and the 11 a.m. program is for children whose last names begin with M-Z.
The first programs are June 20-22.
According to Jackie Mullins, who coordinates the program, the upcoming events this year should delight the young readers.
This schedule of programs is:
* June 20-22, Action Animals USA will be at the libraries with a monkey, a serval cat, a python and other interesting animals.
* June 27- 29, Jonathan Austin will be juggling and performing amazing magic tricks.
* July 5-6, in Blue Ridge and Buchanan only (the Fincastle Library will be closed for July 4th), Captain Kidzo with his red cape will entertain with music and merriment including cartooning and lots of audience interaction. He is also the illustrator of a book called “Read ‘Til You Rock.”
* July 11-14, Lucky Bill and his cowboy show will have Lucky Bill play the guitar and sing what are deemed memorable songs.
* July 18-20 features Close Encounters with Magic. Michael Chamberlain brings a show of comedy and dazzling tricks.
* July 25-27 is the finale, and features “Pig Out on Reading” when Daisy the Pig accompanies Farmer Minor. This is an international team that has been to the US capitol to perform.
All summer reading programs are free and sponsored by the Botetourt Public Library.