Student’s mouth-to-muzzle saves tiger cub
Fri Feb 1, 12:26 PM ET
A German medical student got some unexpected practical experience at the zoo when she gave the kiss of life to a baby tiger choking on a piece of meat, the zoo director said Friday.
The student was passing the enclosure with her toddler son on a visit several weeks ago when she noticed the 4-month-old tiger choking and offered her assistance to the helpless keeper, said Andreas Jacob, director of the zoo in the eastern German city of Halle.
“The tiger tried to eat a piece of meat that was too big and started choking and shaking and then fell over,” the student, Janine Bauer, told MDR radio.
“We got the piece out but he wasn’t breathing so I tried mouth-to-mouth and heart massage,” she added. “After 3-5 minutes he came to, thank God.”
The zoo, which held a ceremony Friday to thank Bauer, has decided to call the tiger Johann, after her one-year-old son.
Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.
|How much did you like this?|