Tiger cub at Winnipeg zoo died of bacterial pneumonia
WINNIPEG — The lead veterinarian at Winnipeg’s Assiniboine Park Zoo says the death of an Amur tiger cub last month was caused by bacterial pneumonia.
Dr. Chris Enright says the bacteria is found in the mouths of members of the cat family.
He says it is not likely to cause any trouble in other feline species at the zoo.
Other animals are being closely monitored, but none has shown signs of illness.
The one-year-old cub named Reka was lethargic and wouldn’t eat much before it died in August.
Reka was one of two tigers born at the zoo in July 2011.