Tiger dies in Itanagar zoo, food poisoning suspected
SAMUDRA GUPTA KASHYAP
Posted online: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 at 0055 hours IST
GUWAHATI, INDIA FEB 21: A Royal Bengal Tiger cub died under mysterious circumstances at Itanagar zoo in Arunachal Pradesh last night, a day after four tigers in the zoo fell ill following suspected food poisoning.
Sources said it has been suspected that miscreants mixed poison in the food provided to the animals on Sunday evening, which resulted in four of the big cats falling ill. The vets put in their best efforts with locally available resources, to which only three of the tigers responded positively.
But one of them died. The dead tiger is said to be about two years old and was born in captivity in the Arunachal capital itself. Although no arrest has been made so far, 15 employees of the zoo were picked up for interrogation.
A departmental inquiry has been ordered into the matter.
For the cats,
Carole Baskin, CEO of Big Cat Rescue
an Educational Sanctuary home
to more than 100 big cats
12802 Easy Street Tampa, FL 33625
813.493.4564 fax 885.4457
Sign our petition here:
Show Comments (0)