We refer to our Volunteers as Big Cat Rescuers
Because that is what each and everyone of you are. By joining our family of dedicated individuals that devote their free time to caring for the cats and ending the trade you are truly all Big Cat Rescuers. The volunteer program consists of two distinct departments. Keepers who clean enclosures, feed the animals, and participate in the enrichment and operant conditioning programs and Partners who manage the gift shop, fill orders from online sales, guide tours, and assist with the brunt of the administrative duties that make the care we provide for the cats possible. These two departments working together form a web of support that provides the best possible care for the cats living at Big Cat Rescue and educates the public about the threats that face the big cats in both captivity and in the wild. So go ahead and be proud of you! You are an important asset to the sanctuary and guardian of all big cats near and far!
Code of Honor
1. I will focus on what works best to achieve our mission of caring for cats & ending the trade.
2. I will speak my truth to the best of my ability & listen attentively as others speak theirs, with an end goal of finding solutions that work for all.
3. I will support my fellow Rescuers early, often & unconditionally.
4. I will be truthful & responsible for my actions, accepting my role with grace and performing to the best of my ability.
5. I will deal with complete transparency & proactively work to resolve any conflicts directly with those involved. I will be sensitive to their feelings & in no way belittle or challenge them in front of others.
If no resolution is achieved I will ask that all involved parties meet together with the person(s) who can settle the matter.
6. If it’s not my story, I won’t tell it.
7. I will celebrate the good my fellow Rescuers do & show respect by saying please, thank you and job well done.
8. It is my responsibility to uphold the code & address breaches of the code with my fellow Rescuers directly, privately & respectfully.
9. I will be mindful of my tone, body language & the fact that we are all on the same path, albeit at different stages, so I will be open & gentle when asked for clarification.
10. I will trust that my fellow Rescuers share my same good intentions and will give the benefit of the doubt or seek their input in a kind and courteous way.