Burns can be caused from excessive heat, electrical shock, chemicals and too much sun. The severity depends upon the exposure and depth of the burn. A superficial burn is indicated by redness, blistering, slight swelling and tenderness. A deep burn looks white and the fur falls out easily in the affected area. A deep burn over 15% of the body will usually result in death due to the loss of fluids and the onset of shock.
Treat by packing with ice, or cold water for twenty minutes to relieve the pain. Clip away the hair and wash with a surgical soap and gently pat dry. Apply an antibiotic ointment and wrap with gauze to keep the cat from chewing at the spot and to keep it clean. Change bandages at least twice per day, being very careful not to pull the scab off with the bandages.
Treat burns caused by chemicals by flushing with water. If it was acid, mix four tablespoons of baking soda to a pint of water and flush the area. If the burn was from an Alkali mix two tablespoons of vinegar to a pint of water and flush. This must be done within five minutes of the burn to do any good. Treat with antibiotic ointment and bandage as above.
Note: I am not a veterinarian. If your exotic cat has suffered a burn please consult a licensed veterinarian.
Show Comments (0)