Our Mission is to provide the best home we can for the cats in our care, end abuse of big cats in captivity, and prevent extinction of big cats in the wild.
Our Goal is for our donors to find their gifts to us to be among the most satisfying they make by accomplishing our mission in the most financially responsible manner possible. We consistently receive Charity Navigator’s highest 4 star rating and are in the 1% of nonprofits who have received Charity Navigator’s perfect numerical score of 100.
Visit Big Cat Rescue
The only way to visit the cats is on a pre-paid and pre-reserved guided tour. Tours fill up quickly!
Big Cat Rescue is Caring for Big Cats and Ending the Trade
Join us in the freedom fight for exotic cats! They were designed to live free; not in cages. The number one cause of abuse is the practice of posing with big cats and their cubs because it creates a flood of discarded cats that serve no conservation value and end up dead or in conditions that are often even worse. You will find us to be completely transparent in our values, care of our 60+ wild cats, and finances.
CUB PETTING IS THE #1 CAUSE OF BIG CAT ABUSE!
Did you know every time you make a purchase on Amazon you could be donating to Big Cat Rescue at no cost to you??
You can automatically help feed our cats at NO COST TO YOU when you select Big Cat Rescue as your charity on Amazon Smile and shop Amazon Smile instead of Amazon.com.
The Most Important Thing YOU Can Do to Save Big Cats
This bill called the Big Cat Public Safety Act is the most important piece of legislation to ever be introduced to protect lions, tigers, and other exotic wild cats from being kept as pets and in miserable roadside zoos. IF YOU ONLY DO ONE THING TO SAVE BIG CATS; THIS IS THE ACTION TO TAKE TODAY!!!
If a form didn’t pop up above for you to fill in your info, please go to this link to take action: BigCatAct.com
Big Cat Rescue, one of the world’s largest accredited sanctuaries for exotic cats, is a leading advocate for ending the abuse of captive big cats and saving wild cats from extinction. We are the most hated, feared and lied about by circuses, backyard breeders, roadside zoos, cub petting pimps apseudo-sanctuariesies because we are the most effective at ending the abuse of big cats. We wear that as a badge of honor.
We are home to lions, tigers, bobcats, cougars, servals, caracals, jaguar and other species most of whom have been abandoned, abused, orphaned, saved from being turned into fur coats, or retired from performing acts.
- The sanctuary began rescuing exotic cats in Nov. 4, 1992.
- The non profit 501 c 3 sanctuary is home to many exotic big cats
- The cats at Big Cat Rescue are here for a variety of reasons, including:
- Abandoned by owners who wrongly thought they would make good pets
- Abused by owners in order to force them to perform
- Retired from performing acts
- Saved from being slaughtered to make fur coats
- Rescued as babies after hunters killed their mothers. See our Bobcat Rehab and Release work
- The non-profit organization is:
- Accredited by the Global Federation of Sanctuaries
- Certified by Independent Charities of America as a “Best in America Charity”
- Member of the Species Survival Network
- Rated 4 Stars by Charity Navigator (their highest rating) and has one of the highest scores of any animal based charity
- Part of a global coalition including HSUS, IFAW, WWF, GFAS, Born Free and other animal protection groups who are working together to end big cat abuse.
- The sanctuary is situated on 67 acres in the Citrus Park area of north Tampa.
CEO Targeted by Murder for Hire
Joe Schreibvogel Maldonado-Passage, aka “Joe Exotic,” was convicted on two counts of “murder for hire” for seeking to hire someone to murder Carole Baskin, CEO of Big Cat Rescue and 19 counts of illegal wildlife trafficking. More here